If you’re an avid YouTube viewer, you’ve probably heard that the company released its new paid service: YouTube Red. YouTube Red is a paid subscription service that runs completely ad-free. Read on to learn more.
YOUTUBE RED FACTS AND FEATURES
In exchange for a monthly fee of $9.99, users are guaranteed no pop-ups, opening ads, or interruptions during their videos. This allows YouTube to pay its video producers and make a profit without forcing everyone to watch ads. Users who prefer not to pay for YouTube Red still have the option of viewing ads, but may miss out on premium content offered only to the paid service.
In addition to an ad-free experience, YouTube Red subscribers will receive the following benefits:
- Offline Options– Red users can download YouTube files for free. The videos will remain on their devices for up to a month, allowing them to watch YouTube videos even when they don’t have internet access.
- Sound Service– Users who want to listen to discussions, music videos, or other videos where the audio is more important than the visual can turn the screen off or pull up another screen without pausing the audio.
- Extra Entertainment– YouTube plans to begin uploading original movies and shows sometime next year. Red subscribers will have VIP access to this content once it becomes available.
YouTube Red currently offers a free trial for one month. It also provides samples of its upcoming shows and movies to let you know what you can expect as a Red member.
PARTNERING WITH GOOGLE PLAY
In order to increase consumer interest in both services, Google Play Music has decided to promote YouTube Red to its new subscribers. Anyone who signs up for Google Play will receive a free subscription to Red. Likewise, if you sign up for Red, you will receive free access to Google Play Music for one month, a $9.99 value.
YouTube currently offers Red access from the following sources:
- Android TV
- XBox One and 360 consoles
- Playstation 3 and 4
- Apple TV
- Wii U
- All YouTube Gaming applications that are available on iOS or Android devices
- Any Smart TVs that support YouTube
At present, you cannot use YouTube Red on an Amazon Fire TV, regardless of whether you download the TV’s YouTube app. YouTube plans to expand access to new devices, however, and will likely make Red available on Amazon Fire TV in the near future.